Editor In Chief, Deadspin
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, , Deadspin, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Quartz, The Root, The A.V. Club, The Onion, The Takeout, The Inventory and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
Deadspin, our sports news site, is currently seeking an Editor in Chief. The ideal candidate is an excellent editor, natural reporter and strong manager with a proven track record of leading a digital or broadcast media team responsible for publishing/producing incisive daily news, ambitious features and investigative work.
Deadspin is dedicated to telling the stories about sports that others can’t or won’t without fear or favor. The editorial voice is built on strong opinions, a conversational style, an eye for the absurd and an unwillingness to accept the official story. The right leader will have a sharp, long-term vision for growing the site across platforms and formats. We are looking for an editor with a clear vision for what Deadspin
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic editorial plan for the site commensurate with the company’s overall goals
- Ensure the site’s content in text, video and audio meets the highest standards of editorial excellence and positions the site as authoritative and agenda-setting
- Stewardship of the site’s unique authentic and fearless voice on sports, based on strong opinion, conversational style and skepticism of conventional wisdom
- Oversee daily production of the site’s output across multiple distribution channels
- Meet targets for growing the reach, loyalty and engagement of the site’s audience
- Hire, retain and develop editorial staff
- Manage the departmental budget
- Represent the title externally at events and in the media to raise its profile
- Strong leadership skills with at least seven years’ experience of managing a team of journalists in a fast-paced, deadline-driven digital environment
- High levels of integrity and initiative and an abiding passion for sports and sports journalism
- First-rate editorial judgement and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging sports-focused content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience of liaising with stakeholders across the company
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The salary range for this position is $125,000.00 to $180,000.00
We're better together! G/O Media is back in office with 6 work from home days a month. This role is based in our New York City Office.
The company is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues, visitors, and volunteers. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
G/O Media provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We have recently become aware that individuals not associated with G/O Media have fraudulently used our name – and fictitious employee names– to solicit applications for fake and real jobs, to conduct fake job interviews and to make fake job offers. Any request to schedule an interview and any bona fide offer of employment will only come from an authorized representative of G/O Media with an email address “@g-omedia.com”. We will never require an applicant to provide credit card or banking information to cover any supposed advance costs.
If you have provided personal information in connection with a fake job offer or interview and you are concerned, we suggest that you take appropriate action.
G/O Media takes these activities very seriously and are taking appropriate steps to shut down this fraudulent activity.