Breaking News Editor, Quartz
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Quartz, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, The Takeout, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we are elevating the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Quartz is seeking a talented, high-metabolism and digitally-savvy Breaking News Editor to drive hourly and daily coverage of market-moving developments across a range of business news topics, companies, sectors and geographies.
We’re looking for a strategic-minded journalist with the proven ability to lead a group of reporters, assign and edit copy across a wide range of topics and story types, and tirelessly drive and shape coverage. The ideal candidate has strong news judgment, sharp editing skills, a collaborative spirit, and a deep understanding of digital best practices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drive the newsroom's hourly and daily operations, making quick editorial decisions and ensuring stories are moved with both speed and care.
- Manage, assign, and edit multiple reporters and their stories, ensuring high-quality and timely publishing.
- Develop and implement editorial strategies and newsroom processes to drive audience growth, leveraging digital best practices and innovative storytelling techniques.
- Cultivate a culture of journalistic excellence and digital growth, mentoring and developing reporters.
- Foster strong, collaborative relationships with other editors and reporters in the newsroom.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and emerging technologies to continuously enhance our digital presence and engagement.
- At least 1-3 years’ experience assigning and editing stories for a digital news publisher. Business news experience preferred.
- Sharp assignment and line editing skills and the ability to juggle multiple stories of different types and on different topics.
- Deep understanding of digital best practices for news audience growth, including story selection and framing, headline writing, distribution and platforms, and SEO.
- A passion and tireless metabolism for hourly and daily news, and the proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E at a minimum of $64,000.00 with a range of up to $71,000.00 annually, dependent upon years of related experience.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
We're better together! G/O Media is back in office with 6 work-from-home days per month. This role is based in our New York City Office.
The company is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues, visitors, and volunteers. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
G/O Media provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We have recently become aware that individuals not associated with G/O Media have fraudulently used our name – and fictitious employee names– to solicit applications for fake and real jobs, to conduct fake job interviews and to make fake job offers. Any request to schedule an interview and any bona fide offer of employment will only come from an authorized representative of G/O Media with an email address “@g-omedia.com”. We will never require an applicant to provide credit card or banking information to cover any supposed advance costs.
If you have provided personal information in connection with a fake job offer or interview and you are concerned, we suggest that you immediately take appropriate action.
G/O Media takes these activities very seriously and are taking appropriate steps to shut down this fraudulent activity.