eCommerce Content and Strategy Manager
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Quartz, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, The Takeout, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we are elevating the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O is seeking a driven, dynamic, hands-on leader to join our G/O Media eCommerce team. This essential position supports the team with affiliate revenue strategy, content selection, brand and partner relationships, and commerce operations across G/O Media’s portfolio of brands, as well as leading communication and project management between the commerce team and other internal teams at G/O including Product, Engineering, and Audience Development. The role requires a mix of expertise in business management, editorial strategy, and operations for digital brands, in addition to general experience in the digital marketing and advertising space. The ideal candidate will be highly analytical and creative, has experience in a client-facing role, and possesses excellent people skills. This role reports to the VP of Revenue Operations and Commerce and manages the Commerce Producer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage affiliate network partnerships and lead bi-weekly / monthly status calls with partners
- Source, select and assign all product deals for writers to cover daily; select top deals for key promotion based on daily data analytics. Review and assess inbound deal opportunities from commerce team alias and direct ad sales team
- Negotiate commission and rates with partners for coverage based on competitive metrics such as click through rate, conversion rate, etc.
- Manage a team of writers, ensuring assignments are completed timely and accurately
- Utilize internal tools to create new content, writing and editing as needed; manage editorial aspect of flat fee and sponsored content business
- Act as Commerce team liaison to the Product & Engineering teams, including task management in Jira, testing for new product rollouts, and communicating expected timelines, updates, and roadblocks
- Work closely with the Audience Development team, soliciting and implementing SEO best practices and providing recommendations for commerce social media content amplification across G/O Media’s portfolio of brands
- Manage and coach the Commerce Producer, who is responsible for brand site affiliate linking, curation of the site homepages, newsletter widgets and other placements, and promoting top performing articles and products
- Participate in strategic discussions to enhance commerce revenues. Contribute ideas and strategies involving data analytics, affiliate partnerships, asset utilization, and available tactics
- Act as Commerce team lead for admin work, handling the Google groups, LastPass, tracking weekly meetings and projects, and approving invoices for Commerce expenses
- 2-5 years of relevant experience with affiliate marketing and ecommerce
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to build strong relationships externally (with partners) and internally (with colleagues from all disciplines and management levels)
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and tight deadlines
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office applications, Google Drive apps, Photoshop and Suite
- Understanding of brands in the G/O Media portfolio to develop product strategies that resonate with our readers and match the sensibility of the brand and its content
- Familiarity with affiliate dashboards and reporting platforms, Google Analytics, Data Studio, Search Console, and other analytics tools
This position has range of $75,000.00 up to $80,000.00 annually, dependent upon years of related experience.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
We're better together! G/O Media is back in office with 6 work-from-home days per month. This role is based in our New York City Office.
The company is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues, visitors, and volunteers. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
G/O Media provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We have recently become aware that individuals not associated with G/O Media have fraudulently used our name – and fictitious employee names– to solicit applications for fake and real jobs, to conduct fake job interviews and to make fake job offers. Any request to schedule an interview and any bona fide offer of employment will only come from an authorized representative of G/O Media with an email address “@g-omedia.com”. We will never require an applicant to provide credit card or banking information to cover any supposed advance costs.
If you have provided personal information in connection with a fake job offer or interview and you are concerned, we suggest that you immediately take appropriate action.
G/O Media takes these activities very seriously and are taking appropriate steps to shut down this fraudulent activity.